Lead⋅er⋅ship Coach⋅ing (n)
Creating superior leaders by challenging clients to identify ways they can increase their personal leadership impact and take immediate action to positively affect themselves and those around them.
Bluepoint provides clients with the very best in leadership coaching. We focus on one thing: helping our clients dramatically accelerate their development as leaders. Our work extends far beyond simply providing leadership tips and advice; we challenge our clients to do a deep self-examination, seriously consider multiple sources of feedback, adopt high-impact leadership practices and make the personal changes necessary to step up to a whole new level of performance as a leader. We are not therapists, counselors or life coaches. We do not provide guidance on personal relationships or balanced lives. We are neither sounding boards for the myriad of organizational problems nor scratching posts for complaints about office politics. We are single-minded in helping our clients identify ways they can increase their personal leadership effectiveness and take immediate action to make this happen.
An Intense Process
We expect (and assist) every coaching client to create an ambitious leadership development plan early in the coaching process. We believe that the coaching process is best used to help leaders make a major shift in their performance rather than a minor tune-up.
At Bluepoint, we begin every coaching assignment with five critical questions for our clients:
- What are your team’s or organization’s most important business challenges and opportunities currently and in the near future?
- What are the three most important drivers that contribute to your team’s or organization’s success?
- What improvements in your team or organization will have the most impact on these drivers?
- What are you prepared to learn, invest, risk and sacrifice in order to make these improvements?
- How will you know when you have significantly lifted your performance as a leader?
(Note: It is not unusual for the answers to the above questions to change several times over the course of the coaching assignment.)
The answers to these questions form the framework for the coaching relationship, ensuring a direct link between developing leadership capability and achieving business results.
Coaching assignments are typically six months in duration with one-hour coaching sessions occurring each week, often via telephone. Our leadership coaching assignments require leaders to make a significant commitment of time and willingness to learn and grow.
Bluepoint coaches guide leaders through a demanding process of assessment, exploration, action planning and execution. A coaching program can be structured in a variety of ways, but typically takes the form of:
- a ½ day, in-person meeting between the leader and the Bluepoint leadership coach to set expectations, agree to coaching parameters, review 360 and other feedback, and begin to construct a leadership development plan,
- a series of assessments including a 360 report (usually The Leadership Essentials Inventory – LEI), The Leadership Report (a synthesis of MBTI and FIRO-B results) and a suite of interviews with managers, colleagues and team members (usually conducted by the leadership coach),
- a weekly, one-hour coaching conversation that addresses progress made (or not made) during the previous week, ways to incorporate new, advanced leadership practices into the leader’s day-to-day interactions with others, and commitments for the ensuing week, and
- upon completion of the coaching assignment, a guided discussion entitled Making Great Leadership a Habit that is designed to help the leader sustain the behavioral changes made through the course of the coaching process.
While the agenda of our leadership coaching programs is tailored to the specific aspirations, strengths and development needs of each leader, our coaches continually challenge leaders to address four critical dimensions of their work:
- Leadership Brand – “Are you demonstrating the stature, character and values necessary to lead?”
- Talent Development – “Are you coaching others for high performance and career success?”
- Team Innovation – “Are you stimulating creativity and positive change?”
- Organization Alignment – “Are you communicating to create alignment, commitment and engagement?”
In the course of the coaching program, leaders are encouraged to create practical action plans for each of these four dimensions and to seek out, each week, opportunities to experiment with and make habits of new, advanced leadership practices.
Learning Application Coaching…encouraging accountability
Following any of our workshops, graduates have the option of engaging in three Learning Application Coaching sessions, either individually or in trios, with a Bluepoint Leadership Coach who will help them identify and commit to courses of action they can take to immediately apply their new, personal learning in their work. Workshop graduates consistently report that these three sessions were the most important factor in making their learning stick and helping them lift their game permanently as leaders. The first session is aimed at helping graduates clarify and commit to specific behavioral changes, the second is used to find ways to accelerate the development process and the third focuses on creating sustained, new leadership habits.
Bluepoint’s cadre of outstanding leadership coaches are the best in the business. All are seasoned professionals with deep corporate experience and broad leadership development experience. The typical Bluepoint Leadership Coach is ICF-certified, has an advanced degree, extensive managerial experience and an overwhelming passion for coaching.
Our coaches work globally, and on any given day could be coaching a banking executive in Munich, a mine manager in Peru, an IT executive in Bangalore, a regional sales manager in Shanghai or a CFO in New York City. Based in North and South America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we have coaches fluent in all major world languages including Mandarin, Spanish, English, Arabic, Hindi, Portuguese, Japanese, and German. All are experts in Bluepoint’s powerful Cross-Culture Coaching Program (this should be a link to our product sheet).